About the Clinics
The California 100 Pre-race training clinics exist to help paddlers succeed in an ultra-distance paddling race like the California 100. Each clinic is led by professional paddlers and Cal 100 finishers and are staffed appropriately for each venue. Each clinic has a specific skill focus and are inherently different from each other. Whether you attend one clinic or all the clinics, you’ll be better prepared for long distance racing. They are appropriate for paddlers of any craft and aren’t only for Cal 100 racers – anyone can benefit from these paddling clinics. By attending a race clinic you’re giving yourself a better chance of success and you’re helping Rivers for Change raise money for other programming.
Scroll down if you need the perfect kayak for training and the Cal 100.
2016 Schedule of Clinics
California 100 Training Clinic #1: Register now!
Saturday, March 5: Alameda, CA Estuary from Jack London Aquatic Center, Oakland with teachers John Dye and Teresa ‘Tree’ Rogerson. Focus on what to do to be ready and prepared to go the distance!
California 100 Training Clinic #2: Register now!
Saturday, April 2: Lake Natoma, Folsom, CA. Teachers to be determined. Establishing a good, solid stroke that can be held for a long day. Distance!
California 100 Training Clinic #3: Register now!
Saturday, May 14: Redding, CA. Teachers to be determined. Learn the beginning of the race course and get your sea legs on dynamic water, which can trip up even the most solid flat water veteran!
What to expect at all clinics
- We will cover a range of topics which could include training, setting goals, nutrition, equipment rigging and more.
- A substantial amount of time for Q & A and looking at individual equipment setups.
- The group paddles will be appropriate for all levels and all vessels. They are geared to help you train smarter, not harder!
What to bring to each clinic
- Your boat/board, paddle and your standard gear
- If you want feedback & a realistic training opportunity, rig your boat/board as you think you may set it up for the race
- Proper clothing for the on-water and on-land sessions (for point to point trainings bring 2 sets of warm clothes for the shuttle)
- Plenty of food and hydration
- Waterproof notebook and pencil if you want to take notes
Need a Kayak for the Big Race?
Need a kayak for the California 100? Want to do it with a fast, fun, stable boat? Paddle the amazing Epic V7 surfski! Go faster, go easier, and have more fun on a V7 – the perfect craft for paddling down the Sacramento River. To sign up for the V7 Demo Program, you just need to commit to two of the three Cal 100 training clinics (email firstname.lastname@example.org). Your V7 will be delivered at the first training clinic on March 5 on the Oakland Estuary, and you will be assisted by Epic Expert Kenny Howell in outfitting the boat for your personal use. You get to keep the boat for training, and paddle it in the Cal 100!
To participate in the V7 Demo Program, the boat rental fee is $300. This includes unlimited use of a V7 for training, right through race day! After the Cal 100, if you wish to purchase your V7, the $300 will be deducted from the price of the kayak. This program is presented by Rivers For Change sponsors California Canoe & Kayak, and Epic Kayaks. To reserve your V7, and sign up for the Demo Program, please contact Kenny.Howell@epickayaks.com
Check out the Epic V7 here: http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v7
- River Town Racers in Petaluma, CA is a very active club that trains three weeknights per week and races “every chance they get.”
- There are many open ocean races as well as novice beginner races in the Bay Area. Starting small is a great way to set goals and get involved with the paddling community.
- Just Kayak More is an active paddling club in the Redding area with great resources on their website and regular Sacramento River paddles.
- Kenny Howell of Epic Kayaks offers scheduled and custom courses via California Canoe & Kayak. Learn more here or by contacting Kenny directly (Kenny at epickayaks.com).