About the Clinics
The California 100 Pre-race training clinics exist to help paddlers succeed in an ultra-distance paddling race like the California 100. Each clinic is led by professional paddlers and Cal 100 finishers and are staffed appropriately for each venue. Each clinic has a specific skill focus and are inherently different from each other. Whether you attend one clinic or all the clinics, you’ll be better prepared for long distance racing. They are appropriate for paddlers of any craft and aren’t only for Cal 100 racers – anyone can benefit from these paddling clinics. By attending a race clinic you’re giving yourself a better chance of success and you’re helping Rivers for Change raise money for other programming.
Schedule of Clinics
February 22nd, 2015: California 100 Pre-race Training Clinic #1
10:00am-3:00pm Oakland, California California Canoe & Kayak, 409 Water Street, Jack London Square, Oakland, CA 94607
Focus: Stroke Tuneup and flatwater training technique
California Canoe & Kayak Program Manager Sean Morley and Rivers for Change Vice President John Dye will be leading the first California 100 training clinic of the season in Oakland, CA. Jumpstart your training by tuning up your forward stroke and learn some ultra-marathon paddling & training techniques. Bring your anticipated race-day equipment, discuss gear options & packing options and set yourself up to train smarter. $60
Register online: paddleguru.com/races/California100TrainingClinic1
March 7th, 2015: California 100 Pre-race Training Clinic #2
10:00am-3:00pm Redding, California River Front Park (Sundial Bridge), 725 Sundial Bridge Dr, Redding, CA 96001
Focus: Intro to whitewater
While the whitewater on the course is mellow (class I & mild class II), it is enough to trip up even the most experienced flatwater or sea paddler. Join California 100 Race Director Matt Palmariello on the upper five miles of the course for a day on the Sacramento River focusing on whitewater. This course will be taught from a standup paddleboard and will introduce basic river hydrology, reading the river & technique to help you negotiate the course with ease. You’ll get time on the actual California 100 course and will be able to mock-run the start (upriver start), run some of the bigger whitewater sections and gain comfort on moving water. All paddling craft welcome. $60.
Register online: paddleguru.com/races/California100TrainingClinic2
April 25th, 2015: California 100 Pre-race Training Clinic #3
Kenny Howell of Epic Kayaks & Paddles will be leading this clinic on the Sacramento River. Details coming soon.
What to expect at all clinics
- We will cover a range of topics which could include training, setting goals, nutrition, equipment rigging and more.
- A substantial amount of time for Q & A and looking at individual equipment setups.
- The group paddles will be appropriate for all levels and all vessels. They are geared to help you train smarter, not harder!
What to bring to each clinic
- Your boat/board, paddle and your standard gear
- If you want feedback & a realistic training opportunity, rig your boat/board as you think you may set it up for the race
- Proper clothing for the on-water and on-land sessions (for point to point trainings bring 2 sets of warm clothes for the shuttle)
- Plenty of food and hydration
- Waterproof notebook and pencil if you want to take notes
Additional Notes and Community Resources
- Susan Starbird puts on paddle stroke technique sessions through River Town Racers in Petaluma, CA.
- Additional stroke coaching videos and stroke specific clinics are offered by local legend Brent Reitz
- The Wave Chaser Paddle Series offers Open Ocean races as well as novice beginner courses in the Bay Area. This is a great way to set goals and get involved with the paddling community.
- Just Kayak More is an active paddling club in the Redding area with great resources on their website and regular Sacramento River paddles.